Quoting from the Arcadian Press sheet notes: "May Aufderheide was one of the most successful of the women ragtime composers. She was born in Indianapolis, Indiana on May 21, 1888. She studied classical music and was a popular pianist in her home town area. She loved popular music and, in addition to playing rags, started to compose her own. Her first published composition, "Dusty Rag" (1908), was a hit and is considered the first major rag from the Indianapolis - Ohio Valley. "Dusty Rag" was so successful that her father started his own music publishing company. In the following four years J.H. Aufderheide Music Publishing Company published 18 other compositions by May Aufderheide. She married Thomas M. Kaufmann in 1908 who joined her father's primary business, a loan company. She seemed to have stopped composing and publishing somewhere around 1915. They had one son and, in 1947, moved to Southern California. May Aufderheide died in Pasadena, California on September 1, 1972.
List of May Aufderheide's works.
Ragtime (Modern Library), by David A. Jasen and Trebor Jay Tichenor (New York: Seabury Press, 1978)
Women Composers of Ragtime, by Carolynn A. Lindemann Theodor Presser Company, 1985)
13. More sheet music at Ditty Box Enterprises
- [§] Blue Ribbon Rag (1910), Treble(Tenor)/Tenor/Tenor/Bass+Tenor/Bass/Great Bass(Bass)
- [§] Buzzer Rag (1909), Descant/Treble/Tenor/Tenor/Bass/Great Bass(Bass)
- [§] Buzzer Rag (1909), Descant/Tenor/Tenor/Bass
- [§] Dusty (1908), Descant/Tenor/Tenor+Bass/Bass+Tenor/Bass/Great Bass(Bass)
- [§] Dusty Rag (1908), Sopranino/Treble/Tenor/Bass
- [§] I Want a Patriotic Girl (1911), Treble/Tenor/Tenor/Bass/Great Bass(Bass)/Vocal(Optional Tenor)
- [§] Novelty Rag (1911), Tenor/Tenor/Tenor/Bass/Great Bass(Bass)
- [§] The Richmond Rag (1908), Treble/Treble/Tenor/Tenor/Bass/Bass/Great Bass(Bass)
- [§] The Richmond Rag (1909), Sopranino/Treble/Tenor/Bass
- [§] The Thriller! (1909), Descant/Treble/Tenor/Tenor/Bass/Great Bass(Bass)
- [§] A Totally Different Rag (1910), Descant/Descant/Tenor/Bass
- [§] A Totally Different Rag (1910), Treble/Tenor/Tenor/Tenor/Bass/Great Bass(Bass)
Further sheet music at DBE:
May Aufderheide , biography and list of works by "Perfessor" Bill Edwards
Ragtime Music CDs:
Judith Alstadter on "Women Composers: Romantic to Ragtime"
Mimi Blais on "Once Upon a Rag Time"
Mimi Blais on "Sunday Morning"
Chrysanthemum Ragtime Band on "Preserves"
Chrysanthemum Ragtime Band on "Preserves, Vol. 1"
Virginia Eskin on "Fluffy Ruffle Girls: Women in Ragtime"
Nancy Fierro on "Rags And Riches"
Audley Green on "Spirituals and Rags"
Frederick Hodges on "Kitten on the Keys: Ragtime, Novelty & Stride Classics"
Various Artists on "Pianola Ragtime: Early Piano Jazz and Ragtime Played on Pianola Rolls: Vol. 2" CD(s) & MP3 Album(s)
Various Artists on "Spirit of Ragtime"
Various Artists on "The Traditional Jazz Ragtime Collection"
Max Morath on "The Ragtime Women" CD(s) & MP3 Album(s)
New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra on "Grace and Beauty"
New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra on "New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra"
Trebor Jay Tichenor on "Ragtime Reunion"
Bryan Wright on "Syncopated Musings: Classic Piano Rags and Ragtime Waltzes" CD(s) & MP3 Album(s)