Athapaskan fiddle music and square dancing in Northeast Alaska and Northwest Canada
Hardcover - 234 pages (June 27, 2002), usually ships within 2-3 weeks.
Table of Contents
Note on Orthography
1. The Metal That Sings: Early Social History
2. Fur Trappers and Priests: The Fiddlers
3. An Athapaskan Repertoire: Learning the Tunes
4. Open Floor for Everybody: Jigs, Reels, and Contras
5. Calling in English: A Snap of the Broom and Three Large Quadrilles
6. Bush Music Comes to Town: The Athapaskan Old-Time Fiddling Festival
Afterword: Speaking of Rubbaboos
Appendix A: Interview with Bergman Esmailka, Sr.
Appendix B: Fiddle Tune Lists and Annotations
Appendix C: Fiddle Tune Transcriptions with Annotations
By Pamela Swing, Shonti Elder
Index of Tune Titles